Saturday, November 11, 2006

First Half of April 2006

For chronological viewing...start from the bottom of this post....


WEDNESDAY, APRIL 12, 2006 08:55 PM, CDT

This is the letter that we have given and/or sent out. If you want to copy it out of here and give your church or family and friends a copy that would be great. We really need to spread the word. The original copy has graphics and pictures on it also...so if you would like the "dressed up" version, please contact us and I will be sure to e-mail that off to you! Here you go!!!!Do you have a heart for children? Have you ever considered adoption? If you answered yes to either or both of these questions, we would like to present you with an opportunity to help orphaned Ukrainian children. Our names are Jeff and Tonya Filleman, and we are the proud parents of 3 children (Cam, Jake and MaKenna) and attendee’s of Brookside Church. Our two sons have been “pen-pals” for a few of these children over the past 3 years. Recently we considered adoption ourselves and God willing, we will be bringing home a young girl from the orphanage early next year. The orphanage we have been working with, and which Jeff recently visited, is Orphanage #4 in Odessa, Ukraine. It houses approximately 200 children, ages 9-17 and is one of approximately 40 orphanages in the city of Odessa (pop. 1.1 million). Many of the children there come from tragic circumstances such as early deaths from one or both parents, or they were simply left on the streets. Drugs and alcohol are a very serious and prevalent problem in Ukraine and are visibly evident everywhere that you look. Even in the event that a child can make it through the orphanage system, there chances on the outside are very slim. The average monthly salary in Odessa is $100 U.S. dollars, and approximately 85-90% of the children that “graduate” from the orphanage turn to drugs, alcohol, and/or prostitution or are trafficked across the world as slaves and prostitutes. Our mission, beyond adopting an older child ourselves, is to help find other adoptive families for these children. In addition, we are working with a Ukrainian Missionary couple that Jeff met on his trip there, and are seeking sponsors for their ministry. They currently minister to the orphanages in and around Odessa, as well as provide bible study groups for the children that are interested. Since the orphanages are state run institutions, there is NO religious instruction provided to these children and obviously, no parents to take them to church. Not only will many of these children lose the opportunity to become a productive member of a society, they are also losing their souls simply because they were never told. If you feel the calling to either be an adoptive family for one of these children (or even just a penpal), or would like to help sponsor the ministry, please contact us at JFilleman@ameritrade.com and/or JTFilleman@cox.net. If you do not have access to email, Tonya is always available at Brookside during the bible studies, MOPs, Sunday’s, or you can call us at home at 733-2369. We will be more than happy to discuss the opportunities in more detail, as well as provide more information about these children.God Bless,Jeff and Tonya Filleman

THURSDAY, APRIL 06, 2006 01:02 PM, CDT

After re-reading my last post, I'm going to have to forego any more late night entries. I'm not sure even I understood what I was talking about :) Anyways, I want to outline a couple of the ministries that we plan on undertaking. I'm going to keep the desriptions fairly short right now, but if you would like further information on any of these, please email or call us and I'll be happy to provide. If you would be interested in helping any of these, please email me at JFilleman@ameritrade.com. 100% of all funds will go directly to that ministry. We will personally be taking care of all of the administrative expenses for these. We also hope to set up a NPO (not-for-profit organization) here soon, to run these under.1) Christian Ministry to the Orphanages. This is a brand new ministry being ran by Julia and Sergei in Odessa Ukraine. They are currently doing this part time, but are looking for funding so that they can do this on a full time basis. Most of these kids don't know Christ or God, since the orphanages don't have any church affiliations nor provide any provisions for the children to attend church. Not only do these kids not have parents, they do not have Christ either...and that is just wrong. The TOTAL cost to support their ministry is approximately $800 a month. I am looking for a few willing sponsor's that will help us fund this ministry on a long term basis.2) Sponsorships for Michelle Maly. Obviously, Michelle needs funding to keep doing what she is doing over there. Monthly donations or one-time donations would be greatly appreciated. Michelle is a phenomenal individual with a passion for Christ and a passion for these children.3) Prayer support for these kids. This does not cost a dime. If you'd like to get a picture of a specific child or children to pray for, just let me know. There is also a much larger ministry being ran by Paul and Tania Becker. They sponsor some of the classes at the orphanage, and provide some support staff. These folks are amazing and are always open to any ideas. If God is calling you to "build a new gymnasium" for the kids, or something like that, they are folks to talk to. Since I didn't see any Home Depots while I was there, this in not something I'll be able to handle myself. Please keep in mind that the average monthly salary in Ukraine is around $150 US dollars, so as you can see, your donations go a VERY long way over there. God Bless,Jeff

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 05, 2006 11:10 PM, CDT

I thought that this journal may go by the wayside once I returned, but have since discovered that it may be a VERY good means of communication from a man talks very little. (I know that Tonya "talks" A LOT...and I can not emphasize "a lot" enough for this forum....however, I'm very appreciative of this fact for the time being!) Anyways, I got around to speaking with my boys tonight about my experience in Ukraine, and I was a bit surprised by their reactions. They wanted a Q&A session before they went to bed, and so I delivered. Anyways, to make a long story short, they were both in heaving tears when we were done. In short, I gave them a walkthrough of what it would be like to be handed your only bag of clothes (albeit 1 pair) and told to go at the orphanage door..."good luck". Both my boy were bawling after this after I "reassured" them that this was the reality of it all. After fielding questions of "well, I'll just walk to nana's" and by response of "you don't have a nana" they were both just crying uncontrollably. I was at a bit at loss of words. There was no way to "smoothe" the situation as it was reality for these kids. Anyways, I just thought I would share. If you have open room in your heart for one of these kids just let me know!!! And finally, I would like to thank Michelle Maly from the deepest part of my heart for providing my the opportunity to be with these kids and trasnlating for me.In HIMGod BlessJeff

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 05, 2006 02:40 AM, CDT

Hello all! I'm very astonished at the number of folks that have been visiting this site. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined. As you all must already know, I'm a very quiet/private person. For what it is worth, I do what needs to be done and then call it good. I'm not a fan of all the fan fair. However, after reading some of your posts, I know that I've hit a nerve with some of you. I did finally make it back in Omaha, along with your prayers, of which, I'm eternally grateful. I'm a bit relieved to hear all words spoken in english...as I am very poor at Russian. On a side note though, Tonya informed me that both her and Cam had a dream that when I came back, I would be speaking nothing but Russian! This is something I will have to play along with for a while in my limited Russian vocabulary!!! As for the kids at the orphanage, I miss them dearly. There is nothing that I can write in this blog that would do them justice for the hardships that they are suffering. I'm still amazed at how happy that they continue to be. As a matter of fact, Lyonya (Jake's penpal) gave most of the gifts that he recently received, BACK TO JAKE!!!...as gifts. This poor boy has NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, and yet gives all that has been given him, back to a "spoiled american kid". And yes, I can write that, as he is my son. These are gifts that were given to Lyona (someone that has nothing)...and yet he has the heart to give them back. How on GOD's green earth can I let Jake accept these? More importantly, how can I convey to my 5 year old son, what these gifts mean? I have traveled North America quite extensively and have been very humbled by this experience. I guarantee that there will be changes around my household. More importantly though, I PRAY that GOD would find his way into your hearts to adopt one of these children. For what it is worth, our plan right now is to adopt one or more of these kids, as well as support Sergei's and Julias ministry to these orphan children. In addition, we plan on helping Olya P, find herself, and become a productive member of the Ukraine society. Although my trip is over, my ministry to these children is not. I plan on taking Tonya back there with me on their Fall Break this fall. If you feel that there is a place in your hearts and home for any of these children, please let me know. I will be happy to assist you on the necessary steps on how to make this happen!!! In closing- I met a young man named "Vlad" that would like me to send the pictures that I too to lovestocook43.aom.com. I'm not sure of the email address, but I will be sending these shortly, once I dig them out of my bag.Olya Citnik- Josh and Julianna- This young girl stole my heart. I have information on how to proceed with the adoption, or at least possible alteratives. How I wish we could adopt her ourselves!!!! Out of everyone, she DESERVES a loving Christian family home. Everyone else- If you have considered the adoption of a child, the time can no better be better. As my brother likes to say (and no offense intendeded) "put your purse down and do it!" God bless to you all!Even though our first trip is done, please check back hear regulary for updates.In HIM,Jeff (and Michelle Maly) (and Tonya Filleman)

MONDAY, APRIL 03, 2006 03:07 PM, CDT

Hi guys. I am sad....Jeff missed his flight out of Odessa. Darn! I am not really sure when he gets back. From his e-mail, it sounded like he would just be a day late. I will post his e-mail and also Michelles e-mail, as she let me know as well. Bad news....I missed my flight this a.m. Long story and I'm real sorry!!! I'm very sad. Anyways, I'm flying out of Odessa this afternoon at 3:00 but won't be able to make any of my connecting flights. So they have rescheduled me for tomorrow. Bottom line is that I got all the same flights just a day later...so I'll be in on Tuesday night. I'm very, very sorry. I love you all and miss you very much!!!! We are leaving for the airport (again) right now. Give the kids hugs and kisses from me and pray for my safe return.I love youJeffHi Tonya!I guess you have heard the bad news by now about our mix-up this morning at the airport and that Jeff didn't get on the flight! I am so sorry. This morning we were late leaving because our phone's ringer was turned off and when the taxi tried to call to say that they were here it didn't ring. I am very sorry that Jeff will be a day later and I hope that you and the kids will make it that extra day. I will be praying for you all!-Michelle

SUNDAY, APRIL 02, 2006 06:58 PM, CDT

Here is an e-mail I received from Michelle Maly who has been with Jeff this week! These are great pictures...check them out on the pictures page!Hi Tonya!Here are some pictures from today when Jeff was leaving the orphanage. Olya Andrei and Maxim followed us all the way out to the gate and then hung around for quite awhile. There were tears and lots of promises to write letters. Tonight my roommate Lisa, Jeff and I had dinner with Paul and Tania Becker who work with 4th and 8th graders at orphanage #4, even more opportunities for ministry.Michelle

SATURDAY, APRIL 01, 2006 11:32 AM, CST

Greetings from Odessa! The shock of actually being able to hug and hold these kids is starting to wear off, as this is absolutely a no-no in the U.S...especially since the average hug over here is going to run you about 5 minutes. However, the shock of seeing over 100 syringes and needles lying on the ground between our apartment and the orphanages (approximately 100 yards) will never go away. Just to give you a little background on the orphanage, it is basically a government run institution that exercises little to no control over the kids. Kids who are inherently good, will go to their classes, playtimes, etc. and do as they are instructed. Those who say "I'm not going to play this game" simply just walk out the door onto the streets and return occassionaly for the warm meals provided and a bed to sleep in. Discipline for the other children is pretty much non-existent to my knowledge. As for "security" I have to put that specifically in quotes as it does not exist. The kids freely roam the compound as well as the adjoining neighborhood. I imagine though that the orphanage is just doing the best it can under the set of circumstances and lack of funding. Hands down, any child here would happily be bounced around from foster home to foster home in the US as opposed to the situation they are in. But on to some of the happier stuff. Two of the girls asked me if they could be our "doches" or daughters today. Andre Zayats, Cam's penpal, asked if we had room in our family for him, his brother and his grandpa, as apparently his grandpa does not want them to be adopted without him! Also, Olya P borrowed the camera today and took around a 1000 pictures of everyone and their mother....maybe mother is not a good word for that one, but you know what I mean. I was subsequently informed that once a camera is located on the premises, especially from an American, there is very strong urge for the orphan to get themselves on that roll of film, solely in hopes that someone will take to them and try to adopt them. Out of all the pictures I saw, I would have to agree with all but one. This gentleman apparently did not want his picture taken and politely gave her the bird instead of his face. I thank the Lord that I was not in his situation when I was sixteen, as if I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure my dad still has some of those same images of me. Anyway, tomorrow is going to be a rough day, in that I have to say goodbye to my new found friends for at least the time being. I promised to write them weekly so that we can stay in touch, but I also have a lot of work to do for both the new ministry I discovered over here, as well as for Olya P and Olya C. I guarantee that Tonya and I will be starting some fundraising/sponsorship initiative for the ministries over here. So if any of you are interested even this early. Please let us know, as you may be able to help us craft our ideas on how to best go about tackling this project!!! Take care and God Bless!Jeff

No comments: