Saturday, November 11, 2006

For chronological order, start at the bottom of the post....

March 2006
FRIDAY, MARCH 31, 2006 01:03 PM, CST

Hello all. I'm surprised at the number of visitors that this site is getting. Your comments are very much appreciated....and to think, I told Tonya that I didn't want to mess around with a blog while I was over here. I guess her one time a year to be right has now been witnessed by all! I love you honey! Anyways, we spent the better part of the day at the orphanage again, and all the kids are starting to ask me when "Uncle Jeff" is going to be back. Every one of them got choked up even when asking the question. I can't say that I understand, other than they are in dire need of some father figures around this place. All the staff here is female, which isn't wrong, but it is only half of the picture and needs of these kids evidently. Our Olya finally came back from her grandma's and met us at Michelle's apartment. When I walked out to greet here, she just ran up to me and hugged me harder than I've ever been hugged (outside of my brother Danny's hugs in which he is intentionally trying to make you pass out) for over 10 minutes. We talked for some time again and are hoping that we can put together some sort of plan for her. Unfortunately, she has no idea what she wants to do after this, and I can emphathize with in that matter. When I was sixteen, I hadn't a clue either (still don't actually!) and the only reason I stayed in school and went on was because of my parents. And thats where the similarities end. I had parents, and Olya does not...the closest she has to that is Tonya and myself overseas. Not quite conducive of enforcing any discipline if you know what I mean. We'll see how it goes though, as we are going to talk some more tomorrow. On the lighter side, the kids have stray dogs and rats as pets at the orphanage. The dogs weren't so bad, as some of the little girls spend a lot of time building houses (as best a 10 year old can) for them. The rats on the other hand I was not fond of. They let them run up and down their shirts, in their hair, everywhere. They tell me it is a mouse, but I've taken enough biology/zoology to tell you otherwise. This was not any sort of mouse.....unless that Chernobyl incedent from a few years back still has some lingering affects. Honestly though, if you go into any pet store and look at the gray rats with the long, thick, naked tails, that is what they are playing with. All in all, everything is going well. The kids really like to teach me russian, and they say that I'm getting better. However, there is one letter that sounds like "h" that is a real deep throat sort of enunciation. The easiest way to describe it would be to try to make the "h" sound while hucking up a lugey. My problem is that the latter half of that is what usually happens. They think it is funny. My head has been exploding with ideas on how we best help these children. I will try to write these up after some careful thought after I return to the states, and get them out to you all if you are interested. Until next time,Jeff (aka Schcheff) Ain't know J's in Russky.FRIDAY, MARCH 31, 2006 09:55 AM, CST
Here is an e-mail I just received from Jeff! It is almost 7 pm over there right now...and the kids and I just rolled out of bed! :-) Anyway, sounds like things are going really well!Hey babe. Thanks for fowarding this to me. I'm sorry I haven't been able to write too much, but the internet is REALLY slow over here, especially when I have to access it through my work email thingy. Since everyone in the apartment is sharing the internet connection, I don't have much time to get on either. These kids are a real joy over here. Its going to be tough to get Olya any type of VISA after I talked to the Orpahanage's social worker. :-( But we keep trying! The kids really like my Russian Translator thing. We sit down and write back and forth. They actually like that more than the games sometimes. These kids out here are SOOOOO neat and loving. They asked me today when I had to go back (even though I get to hang out with them tomorrow), and when I told them they started to cry. I PROMISED them I would come out again though as well as write them every week. (Even Andre cried and he is one tough little boy). It was so sad. Anyways, I really would like to come back out again sometime this year maybe. If we can plan it right, hopefully both of us will come. I guess that is it for now. I love you and miss you and the kids dearly. I can't wait to tell you everything. Also, I got to play with a rat today....one of their pets...and it was nasty!!!!I love youGive the boys and MaKenna a great big hug for me.Jeff
THURSDAY, MARCH 30, 2006 02:42 PM, CST
Here is a message sent by Michelle Maly one of the roomates that Jeff is staying with. She is our main contact to the orphanage. I have posted different pictures today! She sent me a whole lot more!! :-) We were at the orphanage pretty much all day today with the 4th graders. Andrei, Olya S and Vica were Jeff's sidekicks all day. It was cute. The kids absolutely love playing games with Jeff and trying to teach him Russian. At the end of the day Jeff and Andrei had a little wrestling match and Andrei ended up on Jeff's shoulders. Jeff woke up super early this morning, probably due to jet lag and is already in bed now. He'll probably write tomrorrow.I hope that you have a great day and that you enjoy the pictures!Love, Michelle

THURSDAY, MARCH 30, 2006 12:55 AM, CST

Hello all! My apologies for not writing anything myself yet. The exeperience over here is very overwhelming. It is often very hard to fight back tears when talking and thinking about these kids. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm 6'2", 200 pounds and it wouldn't look right to start bawling in front of these kids. I'm going to keep this short for now, but wanted to state 2 things:1. Meeting Olya in person goes down as the third best day in my life ever. I would have happily spent my entire lifes savings for those moments yesterday. And as I'm sure your are curious, what the first two happiest days were, they are 1) Marrying my wife and 2) The birth of my children. Technically, the kids take up three day, but there is no need to be literal as this point, as I'm sure you know what I mean.2. The kids at the orphanage have a phenomenal ability, or so it seems, to be happy. In my work with children over the years, I was incredibly surprised by their positive attitudes and smiles under the circumstances. I have a lot to learn from them over the next few days, of which are lessons that I need to in turn teach my own children.Well, that is it for now. I truly appreciate the prayers. On a final note, if anyone reading this is considering the adoption of a child, I would strongly encourage you to take a look at the children in the orphanage over here. There truly is NOTHING for them once they are forced to leave. God bless you all and especially the children.Jeff

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 29, 2006 04:15 PM, CST

I JUST TALKED TO JEFF!!! It was SOO good to hear his voice...but I kept my cool! You know me! Gotta stay COOL! Anyway, he said that he is having a great time and spent much of the day at the orphanage! He saw Olya, Andrei, Lyonya and dozens of other kids! We have been writing Andrei, Lyonya and Olya for so long though, I am sure that it was nice to actually meet them in person! He is doing well and very excited for the coming days. He is also already excited about upcoming trips for the whole family! This whole experience has really opened his heart to a new found ministry. Keep your prayers coming! We SO appreciate them! As for me at home with three little kids....your prayers are working! I have patience like I've never had, and God is keeping me, for the most part, healthy and I have been having a great time with the kids! Isn't God good?

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 29, 2006 10:15 AM, CST

Here is an e-mail I just received from Jeff this morning!!!Glad to hear all is going well. It's like 9 or so here and we are getting ready to go over the orphanage for the day. It's kind of weird it being like 1 a.m. there and I''m getting up andeady for the day. Anyways, I'll try to write you more and send some pics if I can later today. Also, Olya is suppose to come over this afternoon, and if we can, we may set up a time that we can call you so that she can talk to you. We'll see though. Anyways, all seems to be going well here. Vienna wasn't that bad. 12 hours sitting at an airport was not fun, but all in all it was ok. I didn't take any pictures there, because it really just looks like Nebraska or Iowa from the airport. Although there are some mountains in the far background, but it was too cloudy to see. So far, everyone speaks a little english everywhere, at least in the airports, so it was pretty comfortable. The only hassle I got was from the Ukrainian customs folks. Apparently I "declared" things that I wasn't supposed to declare so I had to take everything out of all the bags and explain to him what everything was. "This is a game"..."What"..."A game" "What game?" ...."Othello"...."Who is it for".....yada yada yada. I had to do it for everything. He finally got so fed up looking at everything, he just told me to pack it up and go. I only should have declared my money and wedding ring. Anyways, I'll talk to you later. Keep praying for me. And tell the kids that I love them and miss them.I love you,Jeff

TUESDAY, MARCH 28, 2006 07:41 PM, CST

I heard from Jeff at about 3:30 pm our time which was 1:30 am Ukraine time. He said he made it fine, but that the lay over in Vienna was something awful! It was only three line message as he was very tired. He said he was exhausted and had to be up early to visit the orphanage, so he was turning in. He said he would try to write again soon. So, YEAH, he made it safely!! What a blessing!!

TUESDAY, MARCH 28, 2006 02:08 PM, CST

Hi all!! Well, it is just after 2 pm here in Omaha, so it is a little after 11 pm in Odessa! I checked Jeff's flight status on line and he got in at 10:36 Odessa time! I have still not heard from him yet though! I am sure he is pretty beat! I am trying to post more pictures, so be sure to keep checking in! Jeff, if you are reading this...we miss you and love you!!!! Give everyone at the Orphanage a big hug and hello from all of us!

MONDAY, MARCH 27, 2006 06:41 AM, CST

Well, I just dropped Jeff off at the Omaha Eppley Airfield! It was bitter sweet! We were sad to see him go, not knowing how much contact we will be able to have with him, but it was nice to see him going with such an open, caring heart, on this wonderful mission! It is almost 7 am here and we had to wake up the kids to get him to the airport. Of course, as luck would have it...if you can call it luck, none of the kids wanted to go back to bed...so I thought it would be a great time for an update! I will write more as I know more! I am sure I will here from him one way or another when he is stuck in Vienna for 12 hours! Rough place to be stuck for 12 hours, wouldn't you say? :-)

SUNDAY, MARCH 26, 2006 04:50 PM, CST

Today is a very busy day! We have been getting ready for Jeff's travel to Odessa, Ukraine! Yikes! I am very nervous for him (this is Tonya by the way), but honestly, I am very nervous for me as well! I will be alone 24/7 with 3 kids, 3 dogs, and dozens of fish!! AAAHHH!!! :-) We have one little bag packed for him that contains his laptop and a little computer that will translate for him! We decided to go all out! Better for him to know exactly where the bathroom is...then to have to guess! Ha! :-) He has been studying Russian now for a couple of months though. It is a difficult language as the alphabet is entirely different...but I am very proud of him and the progress that he has made! I also have a large suitcase packed full of gifts for Olya and Andrei and Lyonya (the boys that are penpals with Cam and Jake), and the other kids at the orphanage. Lots of crafty items, etc. Then, Michelle Maly's mom Sharon, is sending a suitcase with him as well! So, he will be well loaded down with suitcases! We are still working out some last minute things such as how will we communicate once he is over there etc. He doesn't have a cell phone, and the time difference is 8 hours ahead...so we are still working those things out...but otherwise I think we are pretty well set!He leaves tomorrow, Monday the 27th at 7:40 AM. He goes to Denver, then to Washington D.C., then off to Vienna, Austria, where he has a 12 hour layover!! Then, finally he will arrive in Odessa at 11:00 pm Tuesday night (Odessa time). LONG COUPLE OF DAYS!!!We will keep you updated as we are able!

No comments: